Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The WCGT Part II - North Bound: Day 1


View Larger Map

     Day One arrives.  The plan is to take a certain windy one lane road that begins a ways past Coulterville.  It was hot. Very.  And I was not yet immune to the harmonic frequency one experiences while straddling a 200cc engine completely wound out...  But the road was worth it, and the lower speeds were appreciated.  Below I am captured taking my background photo.


    Bridge on Ward's Ferry Rd.  [The certain windy one, mentioned prior]


     Stopped in Sonora for lunch at an old soda fountain set-up, and then headed for Hwy 4, which would lead over Ebbets Pass and on to Lake Tahoe.  Hwy 4 is one of many routes that crosses the Sierras; they are all good roads to ride, but this one happens to be the least traveled and the most narrow and twisty.  The top, just shy of 9K.


     So, for any of you wondering what a smaller displacement bike is like on this sort of trip, I would say that its passable, not exactly desirable, but capable.  The tires have endless traction, however, on a good day, thousands of miles below the pass, this thumper puts out around 12 hp...  Yet it does surprisingly well, until you start gaining elevation....
     Here we have the end of day one.  The camp site is a short walk away; behind me sits Emerald Bay.


     Unfortunately, on this first day of travel, I was focused on my riding, and less on taking photos. However, there is much more to come.  This was a fairly brief first post, with the sole purpose of establishing the blog.  The rest will come in a semi-timely manner...

     To those on a certain forum, I do apologize for the long delay, from the time I announced my intentions of creating this ride report...

No comments:

Post a Comment